Thursday, October 11, 2012

When the commercials are more entertaining than the show...



Yep, I find it happening more and more. And, the thing is, the hilarity is completely unintentional! I'm not talking about the "Where's The Beef", "I Love You Man"- type commercials that make admen break their arms patting themselves on the back. No, that would be too damned easy. And believe my husband, I would never make anything easy.

My fascination began with the macabre pharmaceutical commercials. The cure-alls, that then rattle off a laundry list of potential side-effects from sleeplessness to loss of sexual function to thoughts of suicidal behavior, to possibly making you streak naked and run through your neighborhood with a mega-phone shouting, "I am a Golden God!". Okay, I made the last one up, but is it really that far-fetched? The kicker is the always somber voice-over that instructs the gullible viewer to ask you doctor about whatever Pfizer is selling this week. I may be old-fashioned, but isn't it your doctor's job to figure out what medicines you should be prescribed. Silly me...I thought just the rich had the privilege to request prescriptions.

Now, I move on to the dating site commercials that cushion the two-minute plus breaks between my beloved court shows. You know, like the one where black people meet. My all time favorite is by far the Christian dating site commercial which promises to let God chose a mate for you. Good grief. Really? Okay, let's just for a minute say I believe in religion...Would I seriously buy into the theory that God is signing off on the Christian dating site? If you believe that, you may have been hitting a wee too much of the church wine.

I swear, you can't make this shit up...

No comments: